Wednesday, August 14, 2024

The Talk

 

The talk we had is etched in me forever and a day

When others would listen for a minute and then walk away

The pain and tears were buried deep inside my very soul

A darkened room with a bottle of scotch was the only place to go

 

Many ghosts that haunted my nights with stories from afar

While eating dirt and drinking mud only added to the bizarre

A cavernous space was everywhere for me to fight alone

Staring down the barrel of a 45 birthstone

 

You listened without judgment and never used your phone

Eyes and ears attuned to me while I continued to drone

All I heard were words of support and a feeling of understanding

Treated like a son and guiding me to a soft landing

 

Those talking days saved me like nothing else could

Just like a simple game of chess and a cool fall day would

A stranger who showed me what a real dad was like

Who erased all my bitterness, anger and dislike

 

I tackled my classes and conquered a degree

Because you convinced me I could and I agree

A new career, a new life and my head high

But with all great things, comes the inevitable sigh

 

Some say you were laughing and others not so much

Enjoying every moment and such

Gone in a blink and without even a plea

Heard by his family or friends or me

 

So thank you for being there when I needed you most

Showing me a path out of my painful past dose

I will continue your teachings and pass it on

And treasure all of our talks now that you're gone

 

 by RG Castello

 

No comments: