Friday, January 30, 2015

My Fair lady

It's amazing what triggers a memory whether it is a sound, a smell or a sight. I was watching the Olympics the other night and heard the music that the skaters were using for their routine. Not exactly a memorable song unless you grew up watching My Fair Lady. A song so simple but so powerful enough to raise an image of a time where the most important woman in my life was my mother.

It sounds silly now since I am well grown and she's been gone for over ten years, but there was a time that my mother was everything to me. She was matriarch, model and Marine all wrapped up in one self made mystery. She was one of a pack of similar sisters who grew up in the Depression and came out the better for it. She was the template that I now measure all women against. An independent soul who can shift from Mother Teresa to Miss Demeanor in a moment and deliver each with equal enthusiasm. There were many times that I deserved the punishment I received for being a rambunctious boy but I never held it against her because it never seemed personal, just business. So thank you Olympic skaters for reminding through a song called "I could have danced all night" that my mother is always just a sight, scent or song away.

No comments: